CORRECTED-UPDATE 1-News Corp tops estimates as Foxtel, books unit drive gains

(Reuters) – News Corp (NWSA.O) topped Wall Street profit targets on Thursday, as it benefited from gains at its newly acquired TV network and recorded double-digit growth in its real-estate listings and book publishing businesses. News Corp’s subscription video services division that includes Australian pay TV company Foxtel – acquired by Rupert Murdoch-controlled News Corp earlier this year – contributed $610 million to its overall revenue in the fourth quarter ended June 30. The company’s news business, which houses the Wall Street Journal and the New York Post, made $1.29 billion in revenue, rising 1 percent from a year earlier and accounting for almost half of overall revenue as the number of digital subscribers grew. Revenue at News Corp’s online real-estate listings unit rose 19 percent while its book publishing division – home to HarperCollins – saw a 20 percent jump in revenue. News Corp said net loss available to shareholders narrowed to $372 million in the fourth quarter from $430 million a year earlier. Excluding one-time items, the company earned 8 cents per share, above analysts’ average expectation of 6 cents, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S. Total revenue surged about 30 percent to $2.69 billion, above estimates of $2.65 billion. (The story corrects paragraph two to say the subscription video services division, and not just Foxtel, contributed $610 million to overall revenue.)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: